3.27.2012

cupcakes and beer?

Cupcakes and beer. Two things that don't seem like they should ever go together -- until now. I found the most amazing looking cupcakes on Pinterest that I am dying to make using Corona and Blue Moon beer. 
I found this recipe from a blog called Erica's Sweet Tooth. This creation along with her many yummy sweets and treats might just be my new favorite food blog. Below I included the recipe for the beer cupcakes, or what I'd like to call "man cupcakes" -- perfect for when entertaining for sporting event like football (Go Giants! Is it football season yet??) or any entertaining event or party where you want to impress!

Blue Moon and Corona Cupcakes


For the beer cupcakes
3/4 cups butter, at room temperature
1-3/4 cup sugar
2-1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp orange or lime zest
1 cup Blue Moon or Corona beer, plus more for brushing on tops
1/4 cup milk
Orange/lime wedges and sanding sugar for garnish

- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line 24 muffin tins with cupcake liners.
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add eggs, beating after each addition then add the vanilla and zest.
- Combine milk and beer and alternatively add this mixture and the flour mixture to the butter/sugar mixture with the mixer on low speed, starting and ending with the flour.  
- Fill the cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 18 minutes, or until cake tester comes out clean.
- When cupcakes are done, poke holes in the tops of the cupcakes with toothpicks and brush some beer on each while still warm.  

For the citrus cream cheese frosting:
12 oz cream cheese, cold
6 tbsp butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange/lime juice
1 tsp orange/lime zest
4 cups powdered sugar

- Cream together the cream cheese and butter in an electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.  
- Add the citrus juice and zest and gradually add the powdered sugar until well-combined.  Beat until smooth for about 2 minutes.
- Load frosting in a piping bag fit with a large star tip and pipe cupcake tops once cooled.  

Recipe yields 24 cupcakes.  
How amazing is this cupcake presentation complete with lime and orange wedges, and bottle caps to add playfulness! I can't wait to try out this recipe -- would you all eat beer cupcakes? What other beers do you think could be made into a yummy cupcake version?

-Pretty Little Things


9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I'm trying to think of what other beers I could use too!

      Delete
  2. Wow, these are AWESOME. Totally stealing this idea!

    XO,
    Erin
    http://erinscurrentlycoveting.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may have to steal this idea, too! You must update once you've tried them! I wonder what Guinness would be like in cupcakes ... in chocolate, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds cool...I think my husband would love this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, never heard of this before! I don't like beer but I would definitely try anything having to do with a cupcake. Just today I told my husband that I was craving some. It's high time I keep a box of cake mix in the pantry at ALL times. :)

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fabulous idea!!! I love this! We are having a giveaway on our blog! Check it out and enter! http://bit.ly/H6zWJ4

    xx Julie xx
    www.celebrityowned.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm obsessed with this! I'm trying it out very soon!! I love your blog! hope you'll check out mine! xo www.Withlovemichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love getting and reading all your comments and respond to most of them when I can. Love hearing from you all! xo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...